In this episode, Dr. Elaine Klemmensen joins me for a wide-ranging discussion full of stories and lessons learned over the course of her veterinary medicine career. Elaine has worked in both mixed and small animal practice in a variety of roles from associate, partner, locum, and practice owner. She sold her clinic she owned with her husband in British Columbia just over three years ago. She is passionate about coaching and giving back as a veterinarian. We cover a lot of ground talking about:
- Tell me about why canaries and coalmines matter to veterinary medicine.
- Where is vet med succeeding and falling short today in building culture?
- The biggest asset today in veterinary medicine.
- Being the "new owner" in a small town after purchasing a practice.
- The ups and downs of practice ownership over 20 years.
- How did they know the practice they bought was "the one"?
- How they transitioned the business to an associate veterinarian, they hired and mentored.
- Stories of volunteering efforts and traveling the world
- What is one question you have for me?