In this episode, I'm joined by Maggie G. Mortali, MPH Senior Director at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. As May is Mental Health Awareness Month this conversation dives deep into mental health and awareness within veterinary medicine. We discuss:
- Maggie's role and the collaboration between AFSP and AVMA.
- How critical an environment if for mental health and well-being, and how to improve it.
- Why don't veterinarians and their human health peers reach out for help?
- What are the barriers to care?
- What is a crisis response after a suicide death?
- The After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Colleges of Veterinary Medicine
- What is secondary trauma?
- Project 2025 and the goal of the AFSP to reduce suicide deaths in the US and how you can help.
If you or anyone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, dealing with a crisis, or need to talk to someone please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255. Or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741.
After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Colleges of Veterinary Medicine - https://afsp.org/story/nation-s-top-suicide-prevention-and-veterinary-medical-organizations-partner-to-r
Resources for healthcare professionals and medical educators - https://afsp.org/healthcare-professional-burnout-depression-and-suicide-prevention